Multicultural Activity: Reflection Paper Guidelines
As part of the experiential component of diversity training, interns select a minimum of 2 multicultural events to attend, one during fall semester and one during spring semester. In addition, interns complete 2 brief reflection papers describing their experiences, thoughts, feelings and learning experiences. Suggested length is 2-3 pages, typewritten. The papers should address the following questions:
1. Briefly describe the activity. What did you find most interesting? What did you find most different or difficult to understand?
2. How comfortable were you attending the activity? Why?
3. Did you interact with any of the participants? If you did, describe your interaction. If not, why not?
4. What was it like to be unfamiliar with the cultural norms of a group that has different customs and norms than those you are familiar with?
5. What emotional reactions, if any, did you have? How do your personal reactions and assumptions differ from group members participating in the activity?
6. How could your emotional reactions and assumptions influence the counseling relationship?
7. Identify ways in which you can apply your enhanced awareness, combined with your knowledge of the ADDRESSING model, to your work as a culturally competent psychologist?
NOTE: Interns will notify the instructor when they have engaged in the MC activity so that we can discuss these activities in the MC seminar.